(Korean zucchini squash side dish)
4 to 6 servings
- Hobak or zucchini squash -- 3
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Sugar -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- to taste
- Soy sauce -- 3 tablespoons
- Toasted sesame oil -- 2 tablespoons
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise, then into cut into 1/4-inch think half moons.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high flame. Add the squash, bring back to a boil and let cook for about 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the squash and toss to coat well with the seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature with a selection of Korean side dishes and a main entree.
Hobak Namul Variations
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds before serving.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Korean red pepper flakes to the seasoning ingredients.
- Cook 1/4 pound of ground beef or pork in a saute pan, breaking it up into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper and stir in at the end.