(Kenyan mashed peas, potatoes and corn)
4 to 6 servings
- Green peas -- 2 cups
- Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Water -- to cover
- Salt -- 2 teaspoons
- Corn, fresh or frozen -- 2 cups
- Place the peas and potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Stir in the salt and place over medium flame. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Simmer the corn with a little salted water in a separate saucepan for a few minutes while the potatoes and peas are cooking.
- Mash the potatoes and peas together with a potato masher or put through a ricer to form a pale green puree. Stir in the corn with a little of the reserved liquid and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- In Kenya, dried green peas are often used for this dish and need to be soaked in water and then cooked separately from the potatoes.
- Add a little butter to the final puree for a little more flavor if you like.
- Stir some lima beans or sautéed greens into the puree for added flavor, texture and color.