(Lithuanian savory potato pudding)
The potatoes should be grated on the large, not small, holes of a hand grater. Too fine of a grate will adversely affect the texture of the finished dish.
4 to 6 servings
- Bacon, chopped -- 5 slices
- Onion, finely chopped -- 1
- Large potatoes, peeled and grated -- 8
- Eggs, beaten -- 5
- Hot milk or cream -- 1 1/2 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to season
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a large pot over medium-high flame and add the bacon. Saute until the bacon releases its fat and begins to brown. Add the chopped onions and saute until they are cooked through and translucent, 4 or 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the grated potatoes. Then stir in the beaten eggs, hot milk or cream, salt and pepper. Pour the potato mixture into a greased baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 45 minutes until cooked through and browned on the top.
- Cut into squares and serve hot with applesauce, lingonberry preserves or sour cream.
- The number of eggs and amount of milk or cream varies widely in recipes. This recipes is on the higher side. Some recipes have as few as 3 eggs and 1/2 cup milk or cream.
- For a common variation, stir in 1/4 cup of farina (Cream of Wheat) or semolina before baking.