(Japanese steamed, sliced eggplant)
4 to 6 servings
- Eggplant, Japanese or Chinese, stems removed -- 3
- Soy sauce -- for serving
- Wasabi -- for serving
- Pickled ginger (gari) -- for serving
- Steam the eggplant in an Asian steamer for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through and softened. Do not overcook. The eggplant should be tender yet firm.
- Place the eggplant between two plates and weigh down with some heavy canned food. Set in the refrigerator to chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Drain off any exuded liquid and slice into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal. Fan the slices out on a service platter or tray and serve with an assortment of sashimi with soy sauce for dipping and a side of wasabi and pickled ginger.