(Indonesian vegetables in coconut curry)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Galangal or fresh ginger, minced -- 2 teaspoons
- Chile pepper, sliced into rounds -- 1 to 3
- Lemongrass, white part of stalk only, minced -- 1 piece
- Coriander, ground -- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut milk -- 2 cups
- Potato, peeled and diced -- 1
- Carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds -- 1
- Green beans, trimmed -- 1 cup
- Onion, thinly sliced -- 1
- Chinese or Napa cabbage, chopped -- 1 cup
- Scallions, chopped into 1-inch pieces -- 2 to 3
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok over medium flame. Add the garlic, galangal or ginger, chiles, lemongrass, coriander and turmeric and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, potatoes, carrots, green beans and onion and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are almost cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in the add cabbage, scallions, salt and pepper. Simmer until the cabbage is just tender, about 3-4 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve with rice.
Sayur Lodeh Variations
- You can substitute other vegetables if you like. Just add the sturdier, longer-cooking vegetables first and the more delicate vegetables in the second simmering. This prevents over or undercooking.
- Add some cubed tofu or some shrimp with the cabbage and scallions if you like.