Spinaci con Pinoli
(Italian sautéed spinach with garlic and pinenuts)
Spinaci con pinoli is such an easy dish to make, yet full of flavor and texture. The secret is to only cook it long enough to just wilt the spinach. Overcooking will destroy its fresh texture.
4 to 6 servings
- Spinach -- 2 pounds, or 2 large bunches
- Olive oil -- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Pinenuts -- 1/4 cup
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- If the spinach is not precleaned, stem and wash in a large sinkful of water. Drain in a colander.
- Heat the olive oil In a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the pinenuts and saute until just beginning to brown. Do not burn. Stir in the garlic and continue to saute until it just barely begins to to brown.
- Quickly add a handful of spinach and stir until just wilted. Repeat with the remaining spinach, adding a handful at a time and stirring until wilted.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spinaci con Pinoli Variations
- Try this recipe adding a few radish or mustard greens for a more assertive flavor. Or use broccoli rabe. You will have to cover the dish briefly to cook the broccoli rabe through.
- Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar if you like.