(Nicaraguan yuca, pork rind and cabbage salad)
The best vigorón is said to come from Granada. It is also popular in Costa Rica.
- Yuca -- 2 pounds
- Fried pork rinds (chicharrones), broken into bite-size pieces -- 8 ounces
- Ensalada de repollo (see curtido variations) -- 1 recipe
- Banana leaves (optional), cut into 10-inch squares -- 4 pieces
- Peel the yuca and chop it into large pieces, removing any stringy center fibers. Place the yuca in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until the yuca is cooked through and soft, about 35 to 45 minutes. Drain.
- Place a portion of the cooked yuca in the middle of each banana leaf or in the middle of serving plates. Top the yuca with a hefty sprinkling of chicharrones. Finally, top the yuca and chicharrones with a large spoonful of repollo. Serve immediately with lime wedges.