(Latin American cassava fries)
3 to 4 servings
- Yuca (cassava) root -- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- Water -- for boiling
- Oil-- for deep frying
- Salt -- to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel the hard brown skin from the yuca and cut into large chunks. Avoid the stringy center.
- Add the yuca to the boiling water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and spread the yuca out on a clean towel. Let steam dry for 10 to 15 minutes while you heat up the oil.
- Heat the oil for deep frying until it begins to shimmer, or to about 365°F on a deep frying thermometer. Fry the yuca in batches until it reaches a golden brown. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and hold in a warm oven while you fry the remaining batches.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Yuca Frita Variations
- For a lowfat version, toss the boiled yuca with a little oil and bake in a 400°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned. Stir halfway through cooking time.