(Middle Eastern roasted eggplant dip)
Other names and spellings are baba ghanouj, babaganuş and mutabal.
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- Eggplant, Italian -- 3
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Lemon, juice only -- 1
- Tahini (sesame paste) -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the eggplant on a baking pan and roast in the oven until cooked through, from 45 to 60 minutes. The eggplant should collapse when it is removed from the oven and begins to cool.
- Cut each eggplant in half and scoop out the pulp. Discard the skins. Place the pulp, garlic, lemon juice, tahini and salt in a food processor or blender and and process until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Remove to a serving bowl and drizzle olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Baba Ghanoush Variations
- Patlican Salatasi (Turkish roasted eggplant salad): Instead of pureeing the eggplant, tear it into chunks with your fingers. Eliminate the tahini. Stir in the remaining ingredients. You can also stir 1/4 to 1/2 cup yogurt in to lighten the salad up a bit. Sprinkle with paprika.