(Cuban fruit and milk smoothies)
You can find blended fruit drinks throughout Latin America with different regions giving them different names: aguas frescas, licuados, peparados.
In Cuba, these satisfying fruit smoothies are known batidos and Cubans make them with a variety of exotic tropical fruits.
Serve batidos as a quick and nutritious breakfast or as a refreshing pick-me-up in mid-afternoon.
- Milk -- 1 cup
- Fruit, cut into chunks -- 1/2 cup
- Ice -- 1/2 cup
- Sugar -- to taste
- Place all the ingredient in a blender and process until smooth. Serve immediately.
- Fruit for batidos: You can really use most any fruit you like for batidos. In Cuba, tropical fruits like mango, papaya, mamey, guanábana are especially popular. Use your favorite or a combination.
- Batido de Trigo (Wheat smoothie): Here's an interesting option: substitute 1 cup of unsweetened puffed wheat cereal for the fruit.
- Add a few tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk for added creamy sweetness. A quarter teaspoon of vanilla will enhance the flavor of your batido too.