(English spiced wine)
4 to 5 servings
- Red wine -- 1 (750-ml) bottle
- Sugar or honey -- 3 to 5 tablespoons
- Cinnamon sticks -- 2 to 4
- Cloves -- 4 to 6
- Cardamom pods -- 3 to 4
- Orange peel -- from 1 orange
- Place all ingredients in a pot and slowly bring to a simmer over a low flame. Do not boil. Cover and let steep on a very low flame for about 15 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve and discard the spices. Ladle the mulled wine into mugs and serve.
Mulled Wine Variations
- Swedish Glögg: Drop a couple of raisins and a slivered almond or two into each glass before pouring in the wine.
- Add a few shots of cognac or brandy to the wine just before serving for a more bracing beverage.
- Vary the amount of sugar and spices to your taste.
- Make sure that the orange peel has no white pith which could make the wine bitter. This is easy if you peel it with a vegetable peeler.