(Angolan coconut custard)
4 to 6 servings
- Water -- 3 cups
- Sugar -- 1 cup
- Cloves -- 2
- Grated coconut, unsweetened -- 2 cups
- Egg yolks, beaten -- 6
- Salt -- pinch
- Cinnamon -- 1 teaspoon
- Add the water, sugar and whole cloves to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the temperature of the sugar syrup reaches 230°F on a candy thermometer, anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the syrup from the heat. Remove and discard the cloves and stir in the coconut. Return to medium-low flame and simmer, stirring, for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs yolks and a pinch of salt with a whisk in a large bowl until smooth and lightened in color. Slowly beat a small amount of the coconut mixture into the egg yolks. Then beat the egg yolks into the remaining coconut mixture.
- Return the saucepan to low flame and cook, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes. Take care not to overheat your pudding or it may curdle.
- Serve warm or chilled in small bowls, sprinkled with a little cinnamon.