Dulce de Leche
(Latin American caramel spread)
It is known as cajeta in Mexico, manjar blanco in Peru, Chile and Bolivia, and arequipe in Colombia.
About 3 cups
- Whole milk -- 4 cups
- Sugar -- 1 1/4 cups
- Vanilla -- 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Add all the ingredients to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir well to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened and caramelized, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer to a clean glass jar and refrigerate. Will keep for 1 to 2 weeks.
Dulce de Leche Variations
- Goat's milk is used in Peru and Mexico.