Garides me Feta
(Greek shrimp baked with tomatoes and feta)
4 to 6 servings
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined -- 2 pounds
- Lemon juice -- 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Scallions, finely chopped -- 6 to 8
- Garlic, minced -- 2 or 3 cloves
- White wine -- 1/3 cup
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 3 cups
- Parsley, finely chopped -- 2 or 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Feta cheese, crumbled -- 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a large, non-reactive bowl, toss the shrimp with the lemon juice and set aside to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or saucepan over a medium flame. Add the scallions and garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add the white wine and simmer to reduce the liquid by around half. Then stir in the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a large oven-proof dish. Layer the shrimp evenly on the bottom of the dish. Pour the rest of the sauce over the shrimp, and sprinkle with the crumbled feta.
- Place the dish, uncovered, into the preheated oven and bake until the shrimp is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve piping hot with crusty bread.
Garides me Feta Variations
- Substitute ouzo or retsina for the white wine.
- Use basil or dill instead of the parsley, or use a combination.
- Add some thinly sliced fennel bulb with the scallions and garlic if you like.