(French peppercorn sauce for raw oysters)
Makes about 2/3 cup
- Black or white peppercorns, coarsely ground -- 3 tablespoons
- Shallots, minced -- 2 or 3
- Red or white wine vinegar -- 2/3 cup
- Salt -- just a pinch
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and chill well.
- Spoon the mignonette over oysters or clams on the half shell and serve. Or serve on the side as one of an assortment of sauces.
- Use other vinegars such as sherry or champagne vinegar if you like. You can also substitute wine, champagne or lemon juice for some of the vinegar.
- Some recipes call for reducing the vinegar by half over heat before mixing with the other ingredients.