(Korean spicy tofu)
4 to 6 servings
- Firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices -- 1 pound
- Oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Soy sauce -- 1/4 cup
- Water -- 1/4 cup
- Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces -- 4
- Garlic, minced -- 1 to 2 cloves
- Korean red chile flakes -- 1 to 3 teaspoons
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high flame. Brown the tofu on both sides in the hot oil and remove to a plate.
- Mix remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Pour 1/4 of the sauce into a small saucepan. Place a single layer over tofu in the saucepan and top with another 1/4 of the sauce. Continue layering tofu and sauce until it has all been used up.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high flame and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside for another 10 minutes to allow the tofu to rest and the flavor to be absorbed. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Tubu Choerim Variations
- Add more or less chile flakes according to your taste. Korean red pepper is best. Otherwise regular chile flakes will do.