Zucchini con Salvia
(Italian sautéed zucchini and sage)
Zucchini con salvia is a simple dish and a great way to use up a late summer abundance of summer squashes. Pairs well with roast chicken or pork tenderloin.
4 to 6 servings
- Butter -- 3 tablespoons
- Fresh sage, chopped -- 2 tablespoons
- Zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick half moons -- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat butter over medium-high heat until it just starts to brown. Stir in sage and sauté briefly to flavor the butter, about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, salt and pepper and stir to heat through. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is cooked through. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Use yellow or pattypan squash if you like.
- Two or three cloves of minced garlic can be added along with the sage.
- Use half butter and half olive oil.
- Substitute chopped basil for the sage, but add it at the end instead of sautéing it in the butter.
- Add 1/3 cup of cream or half and half to the pan when you add the zucchini for a velvety texture.