(Filipino stir-fried rice noodles with meat and vegetables)
Image by dbgg1979
4 to 6 servings
- Rice vermicelli noodles -- 1 (8-ounce) package
- Oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Onion, sliced thinly -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Cabbage, chopped -- 1/4 head
- Carrots, grated or julienne -- 2
- Chicken breast, sliced thinly -- 1 pound
- Chinese sausages, sliced thinly on the bias (optional) -- 3 or 4
- Chicken broth -- 2 cups
- Soy sauce -- 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Lemons or Kalamansi limes, cut into wedges-- 2
- Add the noodles to a large bowl and pour hot water over them to cover. Let soak for about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pot over medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and stir fry until the onions just begin to turn translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and carrots and stir fry for another 2 to 3 minutes. Finally add the chicken breast and sliced Chinese sausages and stir fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, soy sauce, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the wok or pot from heat and add the soaked rice noodles. Toss the noodles with the ingredients to coat them with sauce and adjust seasoning. Serve in bowls with lemon or lime wedges to squeeze over the top.
Pancit Bihon Variations
- Meat and Seafood: Add or substitute other meats or seafood for the chicken. Try pork, shrimp, squid, crumbled fried pork rinds, hard-boiled eggs. Often the chicken or pork is simmered in some water first to cook it through. Remove the meat and reserve the broth. Let the meat cool, shred it and add the meat and the broth to the noodles.
- Vegetables: Different vegetables can be added too. Some possibilities: bell peppers, green beans, snow peas, mung bean sprouts, carrots, celery, scallions.