(Greek green beans in tomato sauce)
The long cooking time is necessary for the authenticity of the dish. The beans should be well cooked and soft.
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Onion, thinly sliced -- 1
- Green beans, trimmed -- 2 pounds
- Tomatoes, seeded and chopped -- 1 pound or 2 cups
- Water -- 1 cup
- Parsley, minced -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large saucepan. Add the onion and saute until wilted and translucent. Add green beans and sauté, stirring frequently, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the green beans are well cooked, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve immediately, at room temperature or chilled.
- Add some chopped zucchini and potatoes along with the green beans if you like.
- Saute 1 tablespoon garlic along with the onions.