(Greek green beans in tomato sauce)
This vegetable dish is popular around the Mediterranean. In Arab countries it is known as loubieh bi zayt. In Turkey it goes by the name zeytinyağlı taze fasülye. Spaniards call it judías verdes con tomate.
The long cooking time is necessary for the authenticity of the dish. The beans should be well cooked and soft.
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Onion, thinly sliced -- 1
- Green beans, trimmed -- 2 pounds
- Tomatoes, seeded and chopped -- 1 pound or 2 cups
- Water -- 1 cup
- Parsley, minced -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large saucepan. Add the onion and saute until wilted and translucent. Add green beans and saute, stirring frequently, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the green beans are well cooked, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve immediately, at room temperature or chilled.
- Add some chopped zucchini and potatoes along with the green beans if you like.
- Saute 1 tablespoon garlic along with the onions.