Bubble and Squeak
(English fried potatoes and cabbage)
Image by Kai Hendry
3 to 4 servings
- Potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed roughly -- 3 to 4
- Cabbage, cooked and chopped -- 1 small head
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Butter, oil or bacon fat -- 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped -- 1
- Mix the potatoes and cabbage together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter or oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high flame. Sauté the onion until translucent.
- Stir in the potato-cabbage mixture and press down into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook undisturbed until the bottom is browned, about 10 minutes. Then turn potatoes to brown on the other side.
- Serve hot with bacon and eggs or with cold, sliced roast beef as part of a Monday evening meal.
- Add diced roast beef, ham or chopped sausages to the potato-cabbage mixture.
- Often Brussels sprouts are used instead of cabbage.
- Bubble and squeak can be baked in the oven. Just sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter, oil or bacon fat. Mix with the potato-cabbage mixture and press into a baking dish. Bake in a 350ºF until browned on top, 20 to 25 minutes.