(Italian white beans with tomato and sage)
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Sage, fresh or dried, minced or crumbled -- 1 tablespoon or 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced -- 2
- Cannellini or other white beans, cooked and rinsed -- 2 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sage and sauté just until the garlic begins to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked beans, salt and pepper. Simmer another 10 to 15 minutes over low heat. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes, substitute 1 cup of canned tomatoes.
- Add some sliced mild Italian sausages when you stir in the beans. Simmer until they are cooked through for an Italian version of pork and beans.