(Ethiopian spiced clarified butter)
Makes about 2 cups
- Unsalted butter -- 1 pound
- Onion, chopped -- 1/2
- Garlic, crushed -- 2-3 cloves
- Gingerroot, cut into 1/4-inch slices -- 2-3 pieces
- Cardamom pods --3-4
- Cinnamon stick -- 1
- Whole cloves -- 3-4
- Fenugreek seeds -- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on the lowest possible heat for about 1 hour.
- Pour the clear golden liquid off the top leaving all the solids in the bottom of the pan. Strain through cheesecloth if necessary. Discard solids.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer and use as needed.
- For a lower cholesterol version, substitute 2 cups of vegetable oil or a combination of oil and butter.
- The spices and amounts are not set in stone, so don't worry if you don't have all of them.