(Puerto Rican stewed okra)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil, vegetable or olive -- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped finely -- 1
- Green bell pepper, finely chopped -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 4 cloves
- Ham (optional), diced -- 1/4 cup
- Tomatoes, seeded and chopped -- 3
- Okra, destemmed, cut into 1-inch rounds -- 1 pound
- Water or stock -- 2 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium flame. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the ham and stir to heat through. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes to cook the tomatoes down somewhat.
- Add the okra, water or stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the okra is cooked through and tender. Adjust seasoning and serve as a side dish.
Quimbombó Guisado Variations
- Garnish the finished dish with chopped cilantro.
- To turn into a full meal, add 1 cup diced potatoes, green plantain or calabaza squash at the same time you add the okra. Cook until tender and serve over rice.
- Sauté 1/2 cup of chopped chorizo along with the ham if you like.