(Indian okra curry)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds -- 1 tablespoon
- Cuminseed -- 2 teaspoons
- Chile peppers, minced or sliced into rounds -- 1 to 3
- Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder (optional) -- a big pinch
- Okra, stems removed and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large pot or wok. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and stir just until the mustard seeds start popping, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chile peppers, turmeric and asafetida powder and sauté briefly. Add the okra, salt and pepper and saute, stirring often until the okra is cooked through but still firm, 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Bhindi Bhaji Variations
- Bhindi Bhaji with Tomatoes: Add 1/2 onion, minced, with the chile peppers and proceed with the recipe. After 2 to 3 minutes of frying the okra, add 2 cups of chopped tomatoes and simmer until cooked through.