(Scottish hard-boiled eggs wrapped in sausage)
Makes 8 eggs
- Bulk pork sausage -- 2 pounds
- Hard-boiled eggs, peeled -- 8
- Flour -- 1/2 cup
- Eggs, beaten -- 2
- Breadcrumbs -- 1 cup
- Oil for deep frying
- Divide the sausage into 8 equal portions and flatten each portion into a patty. Place an egg in the middle of each patty and mold the sausage up around the egg to enclose it.
- Place the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Roll each egg first in the flour, then in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or 1-inch deep in a large skillet to 365°F. Drop the eggs carefully in the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes, turning occasionally so they brown on all sides.
- Serve warm, or chill and serve with a side salad or at a picnic or party.
Scotch Egg Variations
- The flavor of the sausage can be enhanced by mixing in some chopped herbs like parsley or sage. Or trying adding a dash of Worcestershire sauce or a bit of curry powder.