Carottes Braisées au Beurre
(French braised carrots with butter)
4 to 6 servings
- Carrots, peeled and cut into rounds or sticks -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Water -- to cover
- Sugar -- 2 teaspoons
- Salt and white pepper -- to taste
- Butter -- 2 tablespoons
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, place the carrots and enough water just to cover them. Add the sugar, salt and white pepper bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots are cooked through and the water has almost evaporated out.
- Toss the carrots with the butter, adjust seasoning and serve.
Carottes Braisées Variations
- Carottes Glacées (Glazed carrots): Instead of water, use beef or chicken stock and use 1 tablespoon of sugar and 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Add a pinch of ground cinnamon, cloves or allspice. For a North African flavor, use a pinch of ground coriander, cinnamon and cuminseed.
- A little chopped parsley can be stirred in with the butter.
- Substitute brown sugar or honey for the white sugar.
- Substitute heavy cream for the water to make a richer version.
- Substitute orange juice for half the water and eliminate the sugar for a lovely citrus version.