(Jamaican cassava flatbread)
Image by tyhirah29
- Cassava flour -- 3 cups
- Salt -- 1-2 teaspoons
- Water -- 1 1/4 to 2 1/4 cups
- In a large bowl, mix together the cassava flour and salt. Stir in enough water to make a stiff dough. Cover and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal portions. Dust a countertop with some cassava flour, and roll each portion out into 4-inch rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a greased skillet over medium flame. Cook each round for 3-5 minutes on each side until browned. Serve warm.
- To use fresh cassava instead of cassava flour: grate about 1 pound of peeled cassava root into a bowl. Place the grated cassava in a large kitchen towel and wring out any excess moisture. Add salt to season and form patties out of the dough. Cook as directed above.
- To give added flavor, after cooking the bammy, soak the patties in coconut milk for a few minutes and then refry until lightly browned.