(Korean mung bean sprout salad)
4 to 6 servings
- Water -- 4 cups
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Mung bean sprouts -- 1/2 pound
- Scallions, minced -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 1 clove
- Sesame oil -- 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds, toasted -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- to taste
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high flame. Add the sprouts and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover tightly and set aside for another 2 minutes.
- Drain the sprouts, rinse them with cold water and squeeze out any extra water with your hands.
- Toss the sprouts with the remaining ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes to let the flavors mingle. Serve at room temperature.
Sookju Namul Variations
- Use soybean sprouts instead of mung bean sprouts.
- Add a splash or two of rice wine vinegar if you like.