Samaki wa Kukaanga
(East African spicy fried fish)
- Fish, whole or fillets cut into serving portions -- 2 pounds
- Lime or lemon juice -- 1/4 cup
- Garlic, minced -- 4 or 5 cloves
- Salt -- 2 teaspoons
- Cayenne pepper -- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil -- 1/2 cup
- Add the fish, lime or lemon juice, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper to a large, non-reactive bowl and set aside to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the fish from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Fry the fish in the hot oil until browned on each side.
- Serve with rice and sukuma wiki.
Samaki wa Kukaanga Variations
- The amount of cayenne can be varied to your taste. Or try using a minced jalapeño or Serrano pepper.