(Indonesian cucumber pickle)
Pronounced "a-CHAR keh-TEE-moon," this simple, quick cucumber pickle from Java is served in Indonesia and Singapore as a side dish grilled foods, especially satay ayam. Also known as acar timun.
4 to 6 servings
- Onion, thinly sliced -- 1/2
- Chile pepper, slit open down one side -- 1
- Sugar -- 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Peppercorns -- 2 or 3
- White vinegar -- 3/4 cup
- Water -- 1/4 cup
- Cucumber, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds -- 1
- Add the onion, chile, sugar, salt and peppercorns to a medium-sized, non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the cucumbers, cover tightly and remove from heat. Set aside and rest for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the cucumbers and liquid to a storage container and chill well before serving. Will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Acar Ketimun Variations
- The cucumber can be peeled, seeded and sliced into half moons if you like.
- Add 2 or 3 whole cloves for extra flavor.