(Japanese pickled ginger)
Try to use very fresh, young ginger for this recipe so the gari will be as tender as possible.
Makes about 1 cup
- Gingerroot, peeled and very thinly sliced -- 1/4 pound
- Rice vinegar -- 1/2 cup
- Sugar -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Red food coloring (optional) -- 1 drop
- Bring the vinegar sugar, salt and food coloring to a boil in a small, non-reactive saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the ginger, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour the ginger and liquid into a heat-proof jar and let marinate for at least one hour. Store refrigerated for up to a month.