(Haitian spicy pickled vegetables)
About 2 quarts
- Cabbage, shredded -- 1/2 head
- Carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces or grated -- 2
- Onion, thinly sliced -- 1
- Scotch bonnet peppers -- 2 to 6
- Garlic cloves -- 4 to 6
- Salt -- 2 teaspoons
- Peppercorns -- 8 to 10
- White or cane vinegar -- 3 cups
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and toss well to mix. Place all of the vegetables into a clean 2-quart glass jar. Pour in enough vinegar to cover the vegetables, tamping them down to remove any air bubbles.
- Store the pikliz in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before serving. It will keep in the refrigerator for a month or two.
- Other possible additions: Sliced bell peppers, serrano or jalapeño peppers, chopped green tomatoes, chopped cauliflower, peas.