(Austrian breaded fried chicken)
4 to 6 servings
- Chicken, cut into serving pieces -- 3 pounds
- Lemon juice -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to season
- Flour -- 1 cup
- Eggs, beaten with a little water -- 2
- Breadcrumbs -- 1 1/2 cups
- Oil for deep frying
- Toss the chicken in a large bowl with the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Put the flour in one bowl, the eggs in another bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. One at a time, dip the chicken pieces first in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs to coat. Set the breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet to let the coating set.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil to 375°F in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Deep fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for another 20 minutes, turning often. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Wiener Backhendl Variations
- Finishing in the Oven: After browning, remove the chicken pieces to a rack-lined baking sheet and finish cooking in a 350°F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.