(Turkish lentil salad)
Healthy lentil salads are popular all around the Mediterranean. Adas salatasi is a simple one from Turkey that is seasoned with a lemon vinaigrette and garnished with tomatoes, eggs, olives and cheese.
4 to 6 servings
- Lentils, rinsed -- 2 cups
- Water -- 4 cups
- Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
- Onion, finely chopped -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 2-3 cloves
- Ground cumin -- 2 teaspoons
- Lemons, juice only -- 1 or 2
- Parsley, minced -- 1 bunch
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Tomatoes (optional), cut into wedges -- 2
- Eggs (optional), hard-boiled and cut into wedges -- 2
- Black olives (optional), pitted -- 8 to 10
- Feta cheese (optional), crumbled or cubed -- 1/4 cup
- Add the lentils and water to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high flame. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Do not overcook. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until just translucent. Add the garlic and cumin and sauté for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Place the lentils in a large bowl and add the onions and garlic. Stir in the lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Adjust seasoning and place the lentil salad in a serving bowl and garnish with any or all of the optional ingredients you like. Serve at room temperature.
Adas Salatasi Variations
- Substitute red or white wine vinegar for the lemon juice if you prefer.
- Stir in a little chopped mint or dill if you like.