(American cabbage salad)
6 to 8 servings
- Onion, chopped -- 1/2
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Dry mustard -- 2 teaspoons
- Celery seed -- 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper -- to season
- Cider vinegar -- 1/2 cup
- Oil -- 1/2 cup
- Cabbage, shredded -- 1 head
- Carrots, peeled and shredded -- 2 or 3
- Place the onion, sugar, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper into a blender and puree on high. With the blender still running, slowly pour in the oil through top opening. Adjust seasoning of the emulsified dressing to taste.
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and toss it with the dressing. Cover and chill well before serving.
Sweet Coleslaw Variations
- If you don't have celery seed, substitute 1 stalk of chopped celery.
- Add more or less mustard to make the dressing more or less spicy.
- If you are making the slaw ahead, keep the cabbage and the dressing separate. Toss them together about 15 to 20 minutes before serving. This keeps the slaw from becoming too soggy.