(American chicken and bacon sandwich)
It is speculated that the club sandwich — with its layers of chicken, tomatoes and bacon — was originally made at the Saratoga Club House in Saratoga Springs, New York, the same place that invented potato chips. The original version had only two pieces of bread.
Makes 1 sandwich
- Bread, toasted -- 3 slices
- Mayonnaise -- 3 tablespoons
- Chicken breast, cooked and thinly sliced -- 1/4 pound
- Tomato -- 3 to 4 slices
- Cooked bacon -- 3 to 4 pieces
- Lettuce -- 1 leaf
- Spread the mayonnaise on one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Spread the sliced chicken on one of the slices of bread. Top with another slice of bread.
- Lay the tomatoes over the second slice of bread. Top with the bacon slices and the lettuce. Place the last slice of bread on top of that.
- About 1-inch in from each of the sides of the sandwich, insert a long toothpick. Carefully slice the sandwich on the diagonal into 4 triangles and serve with a side of potato chips.
Club Sandwich Variations
- Turkey Club: Use sliced turkey breast instead of chicken.
- Add a sliced avocado.