(American Southern cheese spread and sandwich filling)
Pimento cheese is also a wonderful spread for crackers and dip for vegetables. Or use it to top hot dogs or hamburgers. Believe it or not, this tasty spread is also popular in the Philippines, where it's called cheese-pimiento.
Makes about 3 cups
- Sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into cubes -- 1 pound
- Pimentos, drained and chopped -- 1 (4-ounce) jar
- Mayonnaise -- 3 good tablespoons
- Garlic, minced -- 2 cloves
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Place the cheese into a food processor and pulse until well chopped, but not pureed.
- Remove to a bowl and stir in the pimentos, mayonnaise, garlic, salt and pepper.
- To make sandwiches, spread on slices of white bread and top with another slice of bread. Cut off the crusts and serve.
Pimento Cheese Variations
- Individual recipes vary widely. Try using a mixture of Cheddar and Monterey Jack or softened cream cheese. Perk up the flavor with a dash of Worcestershire, a touch of vinegar, a sprinking of sugar, a dollop of mustard, or a drop of hot pepper sauce.
- Oldtime recipes called for putting the cheese, garlic and pimentos through a hand-cranked meat grinder. The resulting texture is incomparable.