Pappa al Pomodoro
(Italian tomato-bread soup)
Pappa al pomodoro comes from the Tuscan region of Italy and is an excellent and easy way to use up tomatoes from your garden in the late summer. Use a crusty, good quality, Italian-style bread for this dish.
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
- Onion, finely chopped --1/2
- Garlic, minced -- 3 or 4 cloves
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 4 cups
- Stock or water -- 2 or 3 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Day-old bread, cubed -- 1/2 loaf
- Fresh basil, chopped -- 1/2 bunch
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large pot. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock or water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the bread and basil and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. Add more stock or water if the soup gets too thick. The soup should keep a loose consistency. Adjust seasoning and serve.