Calabacitas y Elotes con Crema
(Mexican zucchini and corn simmered in cream)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 2 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped -- 1
- Zucchini, cubed -- 1 pound
- Corn kernels -- 1 1/2 cups
- Cream or half and half -- 2/3 cup
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the zucchini and sauté until heated through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer slowly for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Most of the cream will be absorbed by the zucchini. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Calabacitas y Elotes Variations
- Add a minced jalapeño if you like some heat. Or saute a green, red or yellow bell pepper along with the onion.
- Any type of summer squash can be substituted for the zucchini.
- Add a pinch of oregano or ground cumin to the onions when you saute them.