(French braised eggplant, tomatoes and basil)
Serve ratatouille hot, cold or at room temperature with grilled meats, fish or just some good, crusty bread. It is also delicious tossed with pasta.
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Onion, diced -- 1
- Bell pepper, diced -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Eggplant, diced -- 1 medium
- Zucchini, diced -- 1 medium
- Tomatoes, seeded and diced -- 1 or 2
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Basil leaves, torn into pieces -- 1/2 bunch
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium flame. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and stir in until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, tomato, about 1/4 cup water and the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the eggplant cooked through, about 20 minutes. Add water as needed to keep vegetables moist.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Adjust seasoning and serve hot, cold or at room temperature.
- The amounts of vegetables are not set in stone. Use a little more or a little less of each to your liking.
- For an added dimension of flavor, use a little white wine in place of the water.