(Greek iced coffee)
The European version of Nescafé instant coffee is made in a way that encourages the formation of foam. Instant coffee produced in the United States is often made by a different process, so an American frappé might not be as frothy as one in Greece. It will still taste splendid!
Makes 1 glass
- Instant coffee (preferably Nescafé) -- 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons
- Cold water -- 2/3 cup
- Sugar (optional) -- 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Milk (optional) -- 1/4 cup
- Ice cubes (optional) -- 2 to 3 each
- Add desired amount of coffee, sugar and 2 or 3 tablespoons of the water to a cocktail shaker or blender. Shake or blend until the mixture forms a thick and frothy foam.
- Pour the foam into a tall glass and stir in the remaining water and the sugar, milk and ice cubes if desired. Drink with a straw.
- Skétos: No sugar added.
- Métrios: Medium-sweet (about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar).
- Glykós: Sweet (2 to 3 teaspoons sugar).
- Horis Gala: Without milk.