Blitzkuchen mit Obst
(German quick and easy coffeecake with fruit)
German for "lightening cake with fruit," this sweet streusel confection comes together in a flash and is the perfect way to use up all kinds of seasonal fruit. Try rhubarb and strawberries in the spring, berries and stone fruit in the summer, and apples or pears in the fall.
4 to 6 servings
- Flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar -- 3/4 cup
- Baking powder -- 2 teaspoons
- Ground cinnamon -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Milk -- 2/3 cup
- Egg, beaten -- 1
- Lemon zest (optional) -- 1 tablespoon (from 1 lemon)
- Vanilla extract -- 1 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, melted -- 4 tablespoons
- Fruit (see variations) -- 2 cups
- Sugar -- 3/4 cup
- Flour -- 1/2 cup
- Butter, melted -- 4 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to oven 350°F. Grease the bottom of a 9x9-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan. Mix the dry ingredients together well in a large bowl. Beat the milk, egg, lemon zest and vanilla together in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients and melted butter. Stir until smooth. Scrape the batter into the baking pan and smooth out to cover the bottom evenly.
- Spread the fruit evenly over the batter.
- In a small bowl, mix together the streusel crumb topping ingredients until well blended. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the fruit.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick insterted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you like. Delicious with Schlagsahne (whipped cream)!
- Fruit for Blitzkuchen: Fresh, seasonal fruit is best, but you can use frozen fruit too. Berries work nicely, as does sliced stone fruit like peaches, nectarines and plums. Use only enough fruit to cover the batter in a single layer, or your cake may be turn out tasty but a little soggy.
- Blitzkuchen mit Mandeln (Almond coffeecake): Mix 1 cup of slivered almonds in with the streusel topping. You can eliminate the fruit if you like for a simple almond cake. If you do, reduce baking time to 30 to 40 minutes.