(American blueberry-filled double-crust tart)
True blue American blueberry pie. Simple, sweet, rich, delicious and chock full of antioxidants. Blueberry pie is the perfect finish to a meal during the summer blueberry season. Try the star-studded crust variation for your next Memorial Day, Fourth of July or Labor Day celebration. Or for any other summer get-together!
6 to 8 servings
- Dough for double-crust pie -- 1 recipe
- Blueberries -- 5 cups
- Sugar -- 3/4 to 1 cup
- Cornstarch -- 1/4 to 1/3 cup
- Salt -- pinch
- Lemon juice -- 1 tablespoon
- Butter, cut into cubes -- 2 tablespoons
- Prepare a double-crust pie crust according to this recipe, or use your favorite recipe.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch and salt to a large bowl and mix together well. Then add the blueberries and lemon juice and stir well until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Set aside while you roll out your pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. After lining a pie pan with a bottom crust, give the blueberry filling a big stir, then pour it into the pie pan. Dot the top of the filling with the butter. Cover the filling with a top crust, seal the edges and cut vent holes in the top. Set the pie in the refrigerator to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Brush the top and edges of the pie with a simple egg wash of one egg beaten with a little water or milk. Sprinkle the crust liberally with sugar.
- Set the pie on a baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 25 to 35 minutes, or until the top and edges are golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and set it on a rack to cool completely. Best eaten the same day.
Blueberry Pie Variations
- Try using a lattice-crust top instead for a pretty presentation. For summer holiday celebrations, make star-shaped cutouts of pie dough and use those to cover the top.
- Add a little lemon zest to the filling for added zip.
- Try a mixture of half blueberries and half sliced nectarines for a particularly tasty variation.
- If your blueberries are extra juicy, use the larger amount of cornstarch.