(Spanish chicken with tomatoes and peppers)
6 to 8 servings
- Chicken, cut into serving pieces -- 3 to 4 pounds
- Salt and pepper -- to season
- Olive oil -- 4 or 5 tablespoons
- Onion, sliced into 1/2 rings -- 1
- Red and green bell peppers, sliced in strips -- 1 of each
- Ham, chopped -- 1/2 pound
- Garlic, minced -- 2 or 3 cloves
- White wine (optional) -- 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 2 or 3
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken a few pieces at a time, brown on all sides and set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pot and sauté until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ham and garlic and sauté for another 1 or 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and simmer to reduce down until almost dry.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper and return the browned chicken pieces to the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Add a little water if the dish becomes too dry.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with crusty bread.
Pollo Chilindrón Variations
- Use thinly sliced serrano ham or prosciutto if you can.
- Other Additions: 2 teaspoons of dried oregano; 6 to 8 green or black olives; 1/4 cup sliced pimentos; 1 cup cooked chickpeas.