(Salvadoran cabbage salad)
Cabbage salads are served through Central America. The Nicaraguan version is known as ensalada de repollo or simply repollo.
4 to 6 servings
- Cabbage, shredded -- 1/2 head
- Carrot, peeled and grated -- 1
- Boiling water -- 4 cups
- Scallions, minced -- 3
- White vinegar -- 1/2 cup
- Water -- 1/2 cup
- Jalapeño or serrano chile pepper, minced -- 1
- Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Place the cabbage and carrots in a large heat-proof bowl. Pour the boiling water into the bowl to cover the cabbage and carrots and set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- Return the cabbage and carrots to the bowl and toss with the remaining of the ingredients. Let set at room temperature for a couple hours if you like. Then chill and serve as an accompaniment to pupusas or as a side dish.
- Ensalada de Repollo (Nicaragua): add a chopped tomato or two and substitute lime juice for the vinegar.
- Try using vinagre de piña instead of white vinegar.
- Substitute 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes for the chile pepper.
- A pinch of sugar and a little oil can be added to the salad if you like.