Pappa al Pomodoro
(Italian tomato-bread soup)
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
- Onion, finely chopped --1/2
- Garlic, minced -- 3-4 cloves
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 4 cups
- Stock or water -- 2-3 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Day-old bread, cubed -- 1/2 loaf
- Fresh basil, chopped -- 1/2 bunch
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large pot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock or water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the bread and basil and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Add more stock or water if the soup gets too thick. The soup should keep a loose consistency. Adjust seasoning and serve.