Kvashenaya Kapusta Provansal
(Russian sauerkraut salad)
Use fresh sauerkraut for this recipe, the kind you find refrigerated in plastic bags. Avoid using canned sauerkraut. The quality just isn't as good.
4 to 6 servings
- Sauerkraut --2 pounds
- Apple, cored and diced -- 1
- Carrot, peeled and grated -- 1 or 2
- Scallions, chopped -- 4 to 6
- Sugar -- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Drain the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse it well with cold water to remove excess acidity. Drain again and squeeze dry.
- Add the sauerkraut and remaining ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Adjust amount of sugar to taste. Chill well before serving.
Kvashenaya Kapusta Provansal Variations
- Sunflower oil or other vegetable oils can be substituted for the olive oil.
- Add 1/2 cup grapes to the salad if you like.