Kvashenaya Kapusta Provansal
(Russian sauerkraut salad)
Kvashenaya kapusta provansal is a delicious salad to serve alongside a roast or with sausages. The word "provansal" in the name of the dish is a Russian way of indicating the use of olive oil.
Use fresh sauerkraut for this recipe, the kind you find refrigerated in plastic bags. Avoid using canned sauerkraut. The quality just isn't as good.
4 to 6 servings
- Sauerkraut --2 pounds
- Apple, cored and diced -- 1
- Carrot, peeled and grated -- 1 or 2
- Scallions, chopped -- 4 to 6
- Sugar -- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Drain the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse it well with cold water to remove excess acidity. Drain again and squeeze dry.
- Add the sauerkraut and remaining ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Adjust amount of sugar to taste. Chill well before serving.
Kvashenaya Kapusta Provansal Variations
- Sunflower oil or other vegetable oils can be substituted for the olive oil.
- Add 1/2 cup grapes to the salad if you like.