(Turkish potato salad)
The Turks supply us with a quick, easy and healthy alternative mayonnaise-based potato salads. Patates salatasi makes an excellent addition to a table of Turkish mezze. A little bit of paprika gives this salad a beautiful color.
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Paprika -- 1 tablespoon
- Ground cumin -- 1 teaspoon
- Scallions, chopped -- 1 bunch
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Waxy potatoes, boiled, peeled and cut into thin slices -- 2 pounds
- Lemons, juice only -- 1 or 2
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Parsley, chopped -- 1/2 bunch
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium flame. Add the paprika and cumin and toast them lightly for about 30 seconds. Add the scallions and garlic and sauté lightly for about 1 minute. Remove the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes and the remaining ingredients and toss to coat the potatoes. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors mingle.
- Adjust seasoning and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Patates Salatasi Variations
- Use thinly sliced red onion or chopped chives in place of the scallions.
- Add chopped basil, dill or mint along with the parsley for added flavor. Use about 2 or 3 tablespoons of each.
- Start with the juice of just one lemon and add more as needed to your taste.
- Skip the sauteing step and add use the ingredients (except for the potatoes) raw.
- Eliminate the cumin and paprika if you like.