(Central American fresh tomato, pepper and onion salsa)
Makes about 2 cups
- Tomatoes, seeded and chopped -- 2 medium
- Red onion, finely chopped -- 1
- Green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped -- 1
- Cilantro, chopped -- 1/4 cup
- Lime, juice only -- 1 medium
- Salt -- to taste
- Oil -- 1 tablespoon
- Toss the tomatoes, onion, peppers and cilantro together in a non-reactive bowl. Then stir in the lime juice, salt to taste and the oil.
- Served chilled or at room temperature.
- Add a little heat with a couple of minced serrano or jalapeño chiles.
- Finely chop 3 or 4 radishes and stir them into the chismol.
- Cut a ripe avocado into cubes and stir it in at the end.
- Season the chismol with a pinch of ground cumin or some chopped mint.
- Use vinegar instead of lime juice.