(Argentine parsley-garlic sauce for grilled meats)
This pungent herb sauce originated in Argentina. Chimichurri is the classic accompaniment to Argentine churassco, or grilled meats. You can also use chimichurri as a marinade.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Parsley, chopped -- 1 bunch
- Garlic, crushed -- 8 cloves
- Oregano -- 1 teaspoon
- Paprika (optional) -- 2 tablespoons
- Cayenne pepper -- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt -- 1-2 teaspoons
- Red wine vinegar -- 1/3 cup
- Olive oil -- 3/4 cup
- Add the parsley, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt, cayenne and vinegar to a blender or food processor and pulse to process well, but do not puree. Leave a little chunky.
- Remove to a bowl and stir in the olive oil. Let stand for least 30 minutes to mingle flavors and serve at room temperature.
- Use sherry vinegar for a subtler flavor.
- For a Caribbean-style sauce, substitute cilantro for the parsley and add the juice of one lime.